长沙桑拿,长沙夜网,长沙夜生活网

Powered by Lvyulim!

Archive for August, 2019

August 15th, 2019 by admin

New poll shows skepticism over decision to destroy Vancouver viaducts

They may be coming down – but not every one is happy about it.

That’s what a new poll by Insights West says about the Vancouver viaducts. In an online survey of 547 people in Metro Vancouver, just 36 per cent of people said they supported city council’s decision last month to take down the mini-freeway, compared to 40 per cent who opposed the decision.

In addition, 85 per cent said there was no guarantee it would lead to affordable housing, 71 per cent said they believed it would only benefit developers and not average residents, and 70 per cent said it would increase traffic in the area – all running contrary to the city’s claims.

“This is something that has been consistent the past couple of years,” says Mario Canseco, Vice President, Public Affairs, at Insights West.

ChangSha Night Net

“There’s a lot of cynicism from the voters in Metro Vancouver and the city of Vancouver especially when it comes to development. And they are looking at the issue of the Georgia Viaducts coming down as a way for the developers to benefit, and not the average citizen.”

READ MORE: Many months and negotiations to go before viaducts go down

Minister of Transportation Todd Stone says the government shares some of the concerns seen in the poll.

“From a provincial perspective, I am concerned with respect to potential impacts on traffic flow from a regional perspective. This is why TransLink needs to be at this table. Some of these roads are part of their major road network, we want to make sure the removal of the viaducts doesn’t in any way compromise that flow of traffic in and out of Vancouver,” he said.

The City of Vancouver has given itself 18 months to come up with a design plan and negotiate land deals. The teardown of viaducts could begin by late 2017 and be complete by 2020.

August 15th, 2019 by admin

Serena Williams chases down would-be robber, gets cellphone back

Serena Williams, who is known for slamming her opponents on the court, slammed the door on a would-be robber who stole her cellphone on Tuesday.

A video captured the tennis star dining at a restaurant in San Francisco when a man approached her table inconspicuously. With a jacket draped over his arm for cover, he managed to grab the phone and take off.

The Wimbledon champion was quick to spot that her cellphone was missing and took off after the man she thought who took It.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Serena Williams wins Wimbledon title for the 6th time

  • Toronto rapper Drake cheers on top-seeded Serena Williams at Rogers Cup

  • Serena Williams survives scare to earn Wimbledon matchup with Venus

The tennis star chased down and confronted the man on the street outside the restaurant.

Whether or not she had to use her on-the-court demeanor when confronting the man to return her belonging, Williams did indeed get the phone back.

“In the most menacing yet calm no nonsense voice I could muster I kindly asked him if he “accidentally” took the wrong phone,” Williams wrote in a post on her Facebook page. “He stumbled on his words probably not expecting this to happen. “While he was thinking of the right thing to say and eventually he said ‘Gosh you know what I did! It was so confusing in there. I must have grabbed the wrong phone.’”

Williams’ companion at the restaurant began calling the phone and she could hear it ringing while in the man’s possession.

According to a KPIX FIVE report, fellow diners gave her a standing ovation when she returned with her cellphone in hand.

Williams said in her Facebook post that she had a “SUPERHERO sense” about the man and called herself “SuperSerena.”

The San Francisco Police Department told KPIX FIVE News that they’d like to speak to Williams about the incident in an effort to find out if the man has stolen other cell phones.

©2015

August 15th, 2019 by admin

Vancouver demolition numbers at a 10-year high

A wave of demolition in Point Grey is giving Brian Evans infill flashbacks.

“Beginning of the 1980s, we lived about 15 blocks from here, we found the neighbourhood was changing rapidly, houses being torn down,” says Evans.

The homes near Vine Street and West 22nd Avenue were being replaced with what he calls “mega-houses”. Evans says he made news headlines at the time as one of the last hold-outs until they finally had enough.

ChangSha Night Net

Now, history is repeating itself with demolition numbers in 2015 at a 10-year high. In 2005, Vancouver saw 803 units come crashing. This year there have been 1,141, including pending applications.

READ MORE: House and condo prices in Greater Vancouver continue to climb

“The houses are being bought, houses are being built, but a lot of them are unoccupied. They are clearly investments,” he says.

Demolition companies like J&R Excavation says they are barely able to keep up with new clients being placed on a waiting list.

“On average I would say we’re tearing down at least one house a week,” says Trevor Bauder, who spent the day tearing down an older home in east Vancouver.

A new home with a rental suite is being built in its place: an increasing trend on the east side, as homes are torn down to make room for more density.

Some area residents say the face of their community is changing too quickly. With the City of Vancouver approving Shaughnessy as its first heritage neighbourhood, they hope similar designations will slow down to pace of demolition.

“I sent a text to my husband saying another one bites the dust,” says neighbour Kim Larter. “It’s sad to see these old houses getting torn down.”

August 15th, 2019 by admin

Desharnais, Gallagher goals pace Canadiens 4-1 over Islanders

MONTREAL – David Desharnais and Brendan Gallagher scored 1:33 apart in the third period to lift the Montreal Canadiens to a 4-1 victory over the New York Islanders on Thursday night.

Dale Weise and Tomas Plekanec also scored for Montreal (12-2-1), which has not lost in regulation time (3-0-1) in four games since Mike Condon replaced the injured Carey Price as the starting goaltender.

Kyle Okposo scored for the Islanders (7-4-3), who are 1-2-2 in their last five games.

ChangSha Night Net

READ MORE: Kyle Turris scores early in OT to lift Senators past Canadiens 2-1

Montreal had a 24-18 shot advantage and beat former Canadiens goaltender Jaroslav Halak for only the second time in six meetings.

Weise, with his fifth goal in the last four games, was in the slot to redirect a Jeff Petry feed past Halak on a power play at 18:50 of the first period. It was Weise’s team-leading eighth goal of the season, two short of his career high.

The Canadiens had just killed a penalty when Okposo skated through the defence into the slot and beat Condon with a wrist shot 3:35 into the second frame.

READ MORE: Leafs coach Mike Babcock expected to coach Canada at 2016 World Cup

A puck tipped in the neutral zone glanced off linesman Michel Cormier and sent the Canadiens in on a two on one, which Desharnais finishing a feed from Tomas Fleischmann 6:22 into the third.

Gallagher was on the doorstep to deflect a Max Pacioretty shot between Halak’s pads at 7:55.

Plekanec got his sixth of the season into an empty net at 17:57.

Montreal killed all three Islander power plays and have yet to allow a short-handed goal at home in 23 chances this season.

The Canadiens complete a four-game homestand Saturday against Boston. The Isles play host to the Bruins on Sunday.

©2015

August 15th, 2019 by admin

Saskatoon Hilltops seek fifth Canadian Bowl title in six years

SASKATOON  – After winning four of the last five Canadian Bowls, the Saskatoon Hilltops could be excused for treating this year’s championship as a case of ‘been there, done that.’ But this one is different.

The Hilltops are playing for national glory on home turf. The last time that happened was in 2010, before any members of the current roster were on the team.

“It’s going to be a special moment to sort of realize that we’re in our surroundings, we’re at home and we’re in this beautiful place, but ultimately you’ve got to forget about that when you get between the lines,” said head coach Tom Sargeant.

“We’ve got an Okanagan Sun team that has worked real hard to get here as well and they’re looking to knock us off the pedestal.”

Watch below: Okanagan Sun warm up for Canadian Bowl

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • WATCH: Okanagan Sun warm up for Canadian Bowl

  • Saskatoon Hilltops receive PFC year-end honours

They haven’t faced each other in well over a decade but the Hilltops and Sun have plenty of shared history.

They’ve met on seven previous occasions including two in the Canadian Bowl, with each team winning once. The Sun are making their first trip to the title game since 2004 after running the table in the BCFC this season. They combine a high-octane offence with arguably the stingiest defence in the country, which should make for a great matchup against the Hilltops.

“Film tells a lot but it doesn’t tell everything. You never really know until you play someone,” said quarterback Jared Andreychuk.

“They’re a really big, strong, physical team and they have lots of athletes out there, so it’s going to be a fight.”

It’s a fight the Hilltops pivot is ready for despite admitting to some pre-game jitters.

READ MORE: Running game helps propel Saskatoon Hilltops to Canadian Bowl

“I’m not one to get nervous but Canadian Bowls, they get me nervous. It usually works out. I play well under pressure and hopefully that will be the same this weekend,” he said.

So will Saskatoon climb to the top once more or will Okanagan ride into the sunset with the victory? The answer will come on Saturday.

©2015